Wednesday, February 13, 2008

All work...accompanied by a bit of play!

It is kinda funny but I am just as busy on these, my days off, as I would be if I were in class and doing homework. Sure, I’m doing those things now which I prefer so the long days are a bit easier, not to say I do not enjoy theology, but when it comes down to it, class is still class and its always more enjoyable to not go!

Today was another day of respectable progress. Having all of my lumber lined up and ready to roll I was able to proceed with my next step which involved notching all of the vertical boards of my shelving unit so that the shelves will be amply supported.

that's a pretty good notch if you ask me
there's plenty more where that came from!

*sidebar* - I built another large shelf unit for a friend earlier this year and one of my classmates whose father is a carpenter noticed the style by which I formed myself and he complemented me on the quality of my craftsmanship saying that the type of jointing that I used was more labor intensive and has a greater holding capacity than the typical peg-in-the-side-of-the-board mounting style. Something for an amateur to be proud of!

The notching process takes awhile, especially when one does not have a dado blade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dado_blade), so that consumed much of my time in the shop. This is a process which takes a bit of time BUT if you do it right then it will be smooth sailing from there on out!

buenos notches!!!

After this I was able to assemble the top portion of the shelves. Why the top first? Well, because it was just easier! And that’s what you do when you want to see some progress.

the fully assembled top part of my bookshelf...
soon to be filled with the stacks of books
which are piled up all over my room!

Well y’all, I’m off to recharge in lieu of another action packed day off!
remember to preach the gospel always…you can even use words if you want!

4 Comments:

Blogger hnh said...

you are still just as crazy and i still love it just as much! the shelf looks fantastic. oh, and i am very jealous that you currently have time off.

CFN!

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe someone is letting you work with power tools un-supervised! J/K! I would like to know where to order one of those nifty shelves!

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You my dear are blooming adorable! I haven't been on here in so long, but I did do some catch up reading. So I'm all caught up on all your posts, which means I'll be waiting for more.
(:
all my love-
PG

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jer!
So my mom told me that after Ame's graduated and all shes coming out by you for a little tour...
and YOU are her tour guide.
SWEET.
well i hope you both make it back in the summer a-okay and maybe i'll get to see you two for my birthday!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home