Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Standing Guard...

Alright...it is true that there is a child in all of us, sometimes you notice this when you find that you cannot walk past a bucket of legos without having to build a little something or how you get excited to cut out snowflakes for Christmas. This prelude, having a point, is to setup a recent acquisition of mine. As I enjoy taking sweet pics of the places I have been there is no reason I should not personalize them with a Roman/Trowbridgesque character!
Below you will see that 'character' is more literal than you may have first imagined. So I found this hilarious looking swiss guard figurine and as soon as I saw it down in 'LOsservatore Romano newsstand I knew this lil fella had to be incorporated somehow.



Despite his short and stocky stature he is a guard at heart. We were walking from his residence of vendorship and I noticed he felt summoned to honor his home with several photogenic moments of duty!
It was hard taking him with me as he was compelled to jump into the fountain...

I was able to stave his desperate attempts to escape his new future. I told him of the wonderful European destinations he will be able to experience. I did have to coerce him a little with a recent trip to Santiago de Compostella, Spain. He thought that would be fun, afterall he could say hello to James, a great Apostle he has heard so much about.
He had to pay service to the Holy Father by standing guard at his residence then we were off.


He was quite excited about his new journeys. I brought him to the NAC and as we entered the Courtyard he sprang from my hands and scampered up a tree. With only a few trees in the Vatican, save the Papal Gardens of course, I was amazed at his lemur-like tactics. There he sat perched like a finch upon that branch, sporting that jolly grin.


I could tell, after a mere 20 minutes, that he was going to enjoy himself completely!
You can look look forward to seeing this lil fella all around!
I have not chosen a name for my travel bud...any suggestions?

Later,
JT

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Here's a real quick suggestion, without much thought...

Piccola Guardia, aka "Little Guard"
You could call him "Pico" for short! =) (that's Italian! ooh ahhh!)

I'm Extremely glad to see that you've found a traveling buddy, they really make updates entertaining!

PS... I finally FOUND Missy!! (my roaming gnome!) She was hiding in my winter jacket pocket for MONTHS! Poor thing! I'm so glad she's finally safe again! And the great part is, is that she's ready to travel!!! Look out world here we come!! =)

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jer-

Mom thought of Swiss "Ham" and
"Cheese" (say cheese!), but I thought "Guido the Guard" Would be a nice name!! We love the pics, They're hilarious!!

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha! he's cute! hmm...i'm thinking...Alonso,Benvolio, Basanio, Elgamour, Fenton, Horatio, Lucilius, Reynaldo, Gomez, Puglsey, Monty, Preston, Banazir, Glorfindel, Bob, Atticus, Rolan, Dexter, Stryker, Moxie Crimefighter, Scout, Amadeo,Phinnaeus,Flynn, Pilot Inspektor Riesgraf Lee, Gulliver, Gilligan, Frank, Curtis, Robyn, Diego, Ramon, Dino, Brutus, Dante, Ehno, Ermanno, Giuseppe, Luigi, Sergio, Zanipolo (little gift of God).
Some of these are from Shakespeare, celebtrities' baby's names, from Lord of the Rings, and some are Italian.
Hehe! Have fun choosing and let us know if you've decided on a name.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he should be known simply as Dub Bub, or maybe Bud Dud? He He He, just a little bit of Wisconsin humor at an ungodly hour of the night (10:05) after a full day of work and fighting with the computer. Lil Larry of course thinks it should be Lil Larry.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home